April 20, 2005

Other: The Newly Ignored Pope

So the new Pope, Benedict XVI, has been elected. I was actually hoping he'd go for one of the earlier, less used papal names. Wouldn't it have rocked to call him "Pope Telesphorus", or "Pope Anastasius Bibliothecarius the Third"? Now, THAT'S a name to get noticed!

I'd avoid "Hyginus II", though. Too easy to get bullied at school with that one.

Another thought: am I the only person who heard Joseph Ratzinger was elected and thought, "Wow, the first Jewish Pope!"?

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 10:07 am

3 Comments:

Blogger M@ said...

Second Jewish pope.

First one was Jewish.

:)

3:43 am  
Blogger RossK said...

Me, I thought of that little pre-RainMan Ratso guy who ultimately goes to Florida on a bus with Jon Voigt.

And then, like now, that seemed to get 'Everybody talkin'.....'

12:47 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

M@ - you beautiful bastard! You got me. No fault of mine, though: I was worshipping one of the dozens of "Messiahs" staggering out of the deserts of Egypt at the time.

I don't know, Nate, I still hear his name announced by a bad MC during "Open Mic Comedy Nite" at the local.

"Here he is, folks! He's been called the "Vaticn Rottweiler", he's been called the "Popes Enforcer", but he wants you to know him as...

Joeeeeyyy Rat-ZINGER!"
*polite applause*

"Guten Tag, Guten Tag..."

9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home