August 05, 2005

Motorcycles: Pride

What is sometimes the most obvious aspect of pride comes through our posessions. Not a specifically bad thing: an artisan values their tool above much else, for instance. But when something is taken from the realm of mere functionality, it can become much more a status symbol. Houses, cars, and wives can take on ridiculous porportions just to make sure that someone is looking at the right time, and in the right way.

Much as I hate to do it, it's time for Clover to go. She's a blast to ride, and if I could afford to I'd keep her for weekends. (Yes, I'm talking about my bike - don't get fresh.) But the engine is a little too eager; there's a little too much vibration; and I just don't take the care of her like I should. So, out she goes.

Here's the trick: one of the things I valued most about owning a Speed Triple is the looks. Not just of the bike, but from the folks around it - it is one sexy damn bike, and the sound of that three cylinder engine is something beautiful. I know I can't replace her with an equal, as you lose money on every vehicle you buy, so what could I get that was at least as interesting...

Well, there's the practical side to consider, too. I commute about 80km a day, and a bunch of that is going to be in rain, so maybe a Vstrom 650? Great engine, fully faired for wind protection, huge gas tank, reasonable to insure - and sold out. There's tha Katana 750: no cutting-edge technology, but a reliable ride that's a capable sport-tourer (just add saddlebags). Then again, I live next to the Trans-Canada Trail, so how about a dual-purpose like the DRZ 400 or a KLR 650? But duallies have tiny little gas tanks, and I don't want to fill my bike every day, and they just don't look that good. No offence - they have to function first, be pretty second. This won't assauge my horrible vanity, though.

Ah, wait. Something distinctive, interesting, and hints of practicality?

Here's an idea...

Now to get a bike that matches.

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 9:28 pm

2 Comments:

Blogger RossK said...

A Vincent Black Shadow perhaps?

Maybe I better dig that HST story out to fulfill my lapsed obligation.

(can you really ride on the TransCanada Trail? We were just camping along the Kettle Valley Railway and that looks like a good one for bikes with and without internal combustion)

7:43 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

Officially, no, not in summer months: but fall through spring seems okay. There are scads of other trails out here, though. Non-motorized bikes are allowed year-round.

I've bought a sidecar already, but to hook up a Vincent... *sigh*

Great - now I've got to take a cold shower.

8:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home