October 13, 2005

Other: Housecleaning

Still wrestling with a faulty motherboard, so here's a short list of interesting links I wanted to use over the past week:

Religion:

Okay, I know sometimes I've gotten perhaps a bit agressive when I talk about religion, and some take exception to my own belief that it stops people from actually thinking. Fine, but it would be easier to be nice if the religious stopped providing me with so much proof!

This comic book, for instance, which reveals The Truth about "...the very real dangers of sorcery and witchcraft in the Harry Potter series!" Um... okay...

Politics:

After Tom Ridge publicly admitted that the "Terror Alerts" were often raised for political reasons, Keith Olbermann decided to review all such alerts over the past few years, inspired by the recent New York subway alert. Here is the correct way to start a story on the corelation of events:

'We bring you these coincidences, reminding you, and ourselves here, that perhaps the simplest piece of wisdom in the world is called “the logical fallacy.” Just because Event “A” occurs, and then Event “B” occurs, that does not automatically mean that Event “A” caused Event “B.”'

Sex:

Apparently, there was a time when the Republicans were big believers in getting the government out of people's private lives. I've never seen much evidence of that myself, but that's what the story is. A bit of a change, then, when you have this proposal coming before the Indiana state legeslature:

"According to a draft of the recommended change in state law, every woman in Indiana seeking to become a mother through assisted reproduction therapy such as in vitro fertilization, sperm donation and egg donation must first file for a “petition for parentage” in their local county probate court."

Handmaid's Tale, anyone?

Science:

The 15th First Annual Ig Nobel Awards has happened, and the winning list is here. When you have time, watch the ceremony, and know that many of the current great minds in science are taking part.

My favorite is the award for Economics, given to the man who designed an alarm clock that runs away and hides, forcing prople to actually get out of bed and thereby improving productivity.

Motorcycles:

Haven't been able to pick up my sidecar yet, but hopefully this coming week... I'm getting awful twitchy to ride again, but money being what it is, that's a week or two away, too.

Other:

The most wonderful time to the year is fast approaching: Party Time! Hallowe'en is well on it's way, and it looks like we're having a full house this year. One thing I've noticed about my costumes over the past few years: I own a tuxedo, so most of my dress-up has been based on it. This year, I'll be carrying around "Thing" from the Addams Family on a tray, so out it comes again.

And finally, in honour of the folks up in "Religion", I offer this proof of the reality of magic.

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 10:54 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home