November 15, 2006

Politics: When You Have Cards This Bad...

...stop playing!

Glen Beck, a talking head in the now classic O'reilly tradition, had as his guest the first ever muslim elected to federal office in the United States, Representative Keith Ellison. Here's how he starts the interview:

"I will tell you, may I -- may we have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards face up on the table?"

Hoo boy. Here's a quick lesson at decyphering goonspeak: if someone tells you that they are going to be "politically incorrect" for, gosh, just a couple of minutes (or for the sake of argument or what have you) then you know he's got no real excuse for being a total prick.

He continues:

"No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques. I really don't believe that Islam is a religion of evil."

This is the same deal as where adding a question mark is supposed to cover your ass, legally speaking. Or saying that you have a black friend.

It's a "wallpaper word", a word or phrase that covers up a hole in your argument. "Naturally" and "Of course" are used in much the same way, showing how reasonable the person speaking is. They are just using common sense, of course. Naturally, you'd be mistaken to disagree with them. They talk to people - just like you - so you can't really criticise them, can you? Why, that would be crazy!

The idiocy continues:

"With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, "Let's cut and run." And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, "Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies."
And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.
"

Except, of course, that's exactly what he's saying, and he just has no clue how to phrase it.

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 10:23 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home